Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Baked beans go with everything

I admit that this isn't news. Not a 'current event' of the sort that bored me as a teenager. Truth may be stranger than fiction, but I always found fiction more compelling at that age. I suppose that what I am about to post is the former: truth, stranger than fiction. Or at least I find it so, since I am from Southern California, where baked beans go with hot dogs and hamburgers, next to the coleslaw.

Here, in England, beans go with a lot more things. Toast, for example. Baked beans on toast is one of my kids' favorite things, especially with soft boiled eggs. If you're British, you probably don't find that odd. (Then again, you might--my British husband doesn't like eggs, so he's not a reliable source.) I don't mind. It makes the kids easy to please when their dad is away. They think it's a treat.

And then there are those intercultural moments in our house, when baked beans find their way onto plates with really odd pairings. Today, it's enchiladas. One of Iain's very favorite meals is enchiladas with baked beans. It still disturbs me slightly. I stick with refried beans, which are the fitting accompaniment to enchiladas.

Green enchiladas aren't something you find much in Durham. Maybe not at all. The Central American proprietor of Salsa y Sabor (next to the bus station) does the green salsa. I was going to post the recipe (and probably will eventually), but now it's time to eat.

No comments: