Wednesday, March 23, 2011

march miscellany

We've had very little of the 'madness' of the NCAA tournament this year, and yet Thomas managed to throw himself into the University of Washington v UNC game as if he had bet his life on UW. I think the sports gene (like the math gene) must skip a generation. Thomas watched with interest, listened to the explanations given, and by the end of the game was able to suggest fairly sophisticated strategies. I know the sports gene skips a generation, because I can't even remember the specifics, just that I was amazed at how quickly he picked it up. Later that evening, as I was saying goodnight to a very sleepy Thomas, I commented that I was impressed at how quickly he'd learned, and that I was proud of him. As if to console me, he replied that he didn't really understand the offside rule in soccer, either.

No comments: